Saturday, May 23, 2009

Pink Saturday!!!


I recently discovered this amazing band, Pink Martini,
through my playlist searches and think they are fabulous.
I've been using one of their songs frequently on my playlist.
I thought it would be fun to share them with you today.
I think they fit the tune perfectly for our Pink Saturday
hosted by Beverly @ How Sweet the Sound. I believe
they add a bit of nostalgia and old world glamour to our
little Pink Get-Together. I've added a few of their songs
to the
top of my playlist, so take a listen and let me know
what you think. If they are not to your liking, feel free to press
the pause button. I do hope you enjoy though, I know I did,
and it sooo made me wish I could Ballroom dance.
Unfortunately the dance gene passed up my family!


“Pink Martini is like a romantic Hollywood musical of the 1940s or
50s – but with a global perspective which is modern,” says founder
and artistic director Thomas M. Lauderdale. “We bring melodies
and rhythms from different parts of the world together to create
something which is new and beautiful.”

The Portland, Oregon-based ‘little orchestra’ was founded in 1994 by Lauderdale, a Harvard graduate and classically trained pianist, to play political fundraisers for progressive causes such as civil rights, the environment, affordable housing and public broadcasting. In the years following Pink Martini grew from four musicians to its current twelve, and has gone on to perform its multilingual repertoire on concert stages and with symphony orchestras throughout Europe, Asia, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Canada and the United States.

Lauderdale met China Forbes, Pink Martini’s “diva next door” lead vocalist, when the pair was at Harvard. He was studying history and literature while she was studying painting, English literature and theatre. Late into the night in their college dormitory on the Harvard campus, Forbes would sing Verdi and Puccini arias while Lauderdale accompanied her on piano, and their creative collaboration blossomed. Three years later, Lauderdale called Forbes who was living in New York City, where she’d been writing songs and playing guitar in her own folk-rock project, and asked her to join Pink Martini. They began to write music and lyrics together for the band, and their first song “Sympathique,” or “Je ne veux pas travailler” (I don’t want to work) became a huge hit in France.

The ensemble made its European debut at the Cannes Film Festival and its orchestral debut with the Oregon Symphony in 1998 under the direction of Norman Leyden. Pink Martini has since performed with symphony orchestras across the country including four night nights with the Boston Pops in 2005, multiple concerts with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra in 2000, two nights with the Los Angeles Philharmonic on a co-bill with Sergio Mendes in 2002 and two nights headlining with the Los Angeles Philharmonic in 2005. Other prestigious appearances include the grand opening of the Los Angeles Philharmonic’s new Frank Gehry designed Walt Disney Concert Hall, with return sold-out engagements for New Year’s Eve 2003 and 2004; the opening party of the New York Museum of Modern Art, the Kennedy Center and the William Morris Agency’s 100th birthday celebration with soul legend, Al Green.

Pink Martini’s debut album, “Sympathique,” was released independently in 1997 on the band’s own label Heinz Records (named after Lauderdale’s dog) and quickly became an international phenomenon, garnering the group nominations for “Song of the Year” and “Best New Artist” in France’s Victoires de la Musique Awards. Seven long years later the high-anticipated follow-up, “Hang on Little Tomato,” was released and climbed to #1 on Amazon.com’s best sellers list.


I obtained all this info from the Pink Martini Website, if you

would like to obtain additional information such as concerts, CD's,

or their tour schedule.


Have a stupendously blessed Memorial Day Weekend

and

STAY SAFE!!!




41 comments:

Desert Rose said...

It is sooo fitting that The Auntie Rose is your 1st comment, since Sir Thomas and his band are my PNW city home grown boys!!! I quickly looked for a cd of theirs to bring to you...but alas could not find the one I know I have SOMEWERE!!! They preform with the OR symphony...next time they play...I will invite you!!!!

xinex said...

Interesting story, thanks for sharing. You have a nice weekend holiday too! To answer your question, my oldest sister travels more than me and the middle one travels a lot too but not as much as me and the oldest because she works....Christine

Pony Girl said...

What a fun band, thanks for sharing your find! :) I truly love that kind of music...it's similar to that playing in antique stores, reminds me of shopping for old things....and....well, like you said, it's perfect for Pink Saturday. Are you doing the garage sale? Wish I could be there! :) Have a great weekend!

Melly said...

Hi Sares, I really enjoyed listening to the "Pink Martini's" a great find and perfect for Pink Saturday!
Have a wonderful weekend, sweetness!
Hugs
Melly:)

Eclectic Chic Style said...

Very fitting for Pink Saturday, and I enjoy finding new artists so thank you for sharing them with us, I am a music fanatic and love it all!
Have a wonderful Saturday!
♥ Teresa

Amy said...

Hi Sares,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I enjoyed your PS post today and also looking around your blog.

amy@maisonbelle

Jenny said...

How cool! I might have to get one of their CD's as I love this music!! Thank you for sharing! Thank you also for the sweet comments. My son is so funny, when youa sk him who is friends in class are he is always sure to tell you about his "girlfriends" first!! hehehe!

Lisa said...

This is so cool! Thanks for all the info! I will go and check them out! Thanks!
Happy Pink Saturday!
Hugs, Lisa

Debby said...

This is so great, thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful long weekend.
Debby

Unknown said...

I love music and always looking for something new to listen to. Thanks for sharing Pink Martini with us! Have a wonderful Pink Saturday!

Tanza said...

Hi Sares,
Thanks soo much for stopping by and visiting me.. Love meeting new wonderful friends like you.. Enjoyed visiting your blog.. The music was soo fun, and yes, it makes me want to sooo dance.. FUN !! Wishing you a wonderful,fun week-end my sweets.. hugs to you.. ~tea~xo

koralee said...

So nice to meet you through Pink Saturday...thanks for sharing Pink Martini...i look forward to spending more time reading your amazing blog..thanks for stopping by mine!! Have a great weekend!

Rebecca Nelson said...

Wow....what a really NEATO band! How have I never heard of them before!

This was such a GREAT story! Wonderful post...

Thank you, Sares...

PS: Your comment on my post meant so much to me...

Blessings~Rebecca

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Pink Saturday ~ I hope you have a great weekend ~ Susan

Anonymous said...

Hi sweet lady, TY for visiting me today.

Pink Martinis - isn't that interesting and intriguing? I'd never have known or heard about them if not for you.

xJ
MaidenShade.wordpress.com

The Wrought Iron Gate said...

Love this band's vintage feel.....I was transported right back to Paris in the 1940's. Thanks for the introduction. I definitely want to hear more.

Best Wishes,
Kay

Claudia said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Sares! I have been hearing about Pink Martini off and on and am so glad you gave all the information on them. I love that sound! Sound like I have to go get a CD!

The Old Parsonage said...

Wow, what a fun post. I loved hearing their music as I read their bio!

Thanks for the sweet comments you've been leaving on my blog. I've added your site to my blog roll.

Enjoy your weekend!
Leann

Sit-N-Chat said...

My 24 year old son has their cds so I've heard them before. He loves all types of music as do I. I like them and am glad you posted them!
Have a great weekend!

Jennifer

Terri said...

I never would have thought of music being something pink. Very cool thing to share for Pink Saturday though. thanks for stopping by my blog too.

♥Mimi♥ said...

What a l♥vely Pink Saturday blog entry. This is the one day of the week when I get to sit for a couple of hours and soak in my favorite color. Thanks for being a part of that day☺

Wishing you and yours a wonderful family weekend. I will be remembering my father who served in WWII, and praying for all of our military who are in harms' way.

Horse Dreams said...

I love this band ~ sis, I copied their CD for you a few Christmas's ago, do you still have it? If not, I have their first two CD's and I will copy them for you and send them along with the other sis. Oh, yeah, they are playing in Portland the first week in June and my lovely husband purchased tickets for us...not sure if there are still tickets avaialble? LOL

Patricia said...

Happy Pink Saturday and thanks for visiting my blog - I am going to try to listen to some of the music after your lovely description. I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Sares,
Interesting! Happy Pink Saturday and enjoy your weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

SmilingSally said...

What a perfect PS post!

Shey said...

Wow, I've learned a lot here. Very fascinating read.

Happy Pinkness! :)

Lynn said...

What a clever idea! A pink band!
I enjoyed the music.

I took French in high school, but later overpowered it with Spanish. It's interesting to see how many of the words I can recognise.

Susie Jefferson said...

Loveleigh group Sares! I have bookmarked them to hear more - thanks so much for mentioning them. Perfect Pink Saturday fodder. So nice to see your entire blog (the new monitor). It's amazing how much background I missed out on before. Happy Pink Saturday!

Cottage Contessa said...

Great band, and a very cool name! Hope you're having a happy and relaxing Pink Saturday sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

vickie said...

Happy Pink Saturday, and thanks for sharing the band, I enjoyed it!

Abby Lanes said...

Happy Pink Saturday! Thanks for introducing me to something new.
~Abby

HiHo said...

I was pulled right into your interesting post, amazing info....and then I slipped into the next post which I LOVE,LOVE,LOVED! Kissing bunnies and all. HP, Heidi

Unknown said...

Hey! Thanks for opening my ears to a new group to try! Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Allidink said...

Awesome! What a great name for a band. I love their music I'm listening to it on your playlist lol.

All the best,
Allison

Jade Creative said...

Enjoyed Pink Martini. I like to listen to the music while visiting other blogs, however the computer I am using at this moment won't allow it. Next time...
Have a fabulous weekend and thanks for visiting.
Darlene

Paris Rags Romance said...

Hi There! Here is your customer code for the ParisRags.com site (paris) you enter it in the customer code box at checkout for 10.00 off anything you like. Thank you again for such a lovely post! Hugs, Kimberly

suesueb said...

good morning! the music reminds me of the old black and white films--the main characters would be in a dancing place, sitting at the table and listening to the band. congrats to your mom-she deserves an award!! thanks for sharing all you do-happy pink week! and thanks for visiting and i think my grandbabies are fabulous too (of course, i'm a little prejudiced).

Mermaids of the Lake said...

I love Pink Martini! What a great post! Congrats to your mom too!! That was a beautiful post and your mom should be very proud.

Mermaid Debbie

Char said...

that is the perfect pink saturday post, thankyou, I really enjoyed it. Char

Valerie said...

Hi Sares.

I'm late making Pink Saturday rounds, but had to chime in and say I love that band! I was listening to Que Sera Sera which my mother used to sing me to sleep by when I was a little girl. Such great memories...thanks!

Happy Pink Saturday...late!

Valerie

Beansieleigh said...

Loved the musical piece! Looks like we were thinking on the same track!
Happy Pink Saturday, and hope you're having a wonderful weekend!